Thursday, September 12, 2013

Day 24...The results are in!

So last night and this morning I faced the scale, the rowing machine, and the tape measure.

You'll recall from the Day 1 blog that I knew this couldn't be about JUST losing weight. As important as weight loss is, it takes time. All change does. And the fickle nature of the scale (up 1lb one day down 2 the next, back up, wash, rinse, repeat) can really get you down thinking no progress is being made

But I believed if I could measure some other things I would be able to see improvements in many areas. I thought that maybe this would serve as more proof that I was on track, and encourage me to keep going.

I was right.

Lets take a look

First up weight.

Day 1 - 255.4
Day 24 - 251. 2

Change -1.6%

A good start. Over 4lbs down. This also means my BMI drops to 34.1

Waist down 2 inches to 43
Hips down .5 inch to 43.5
Chest down 1 inch to 42
Thigh down .5 inch to 27.5

Total loss is 4 inches. Again, a pretty good start

So my body is changing, slowly, but changing.

What really excited me though was the performance numbers.

Day 1 Pushups to exhaustion - 18
Day 24 Pushups to exhaustion - 29!

2000M Row
Personal Best prior to these 100 days: 8:46.5
Personal Best now:  8:33.7

Recovery from exertion (500m row at 1:58 pace) . Today's values in bold

Peak HR -          190    175
After 1 minutes - 147    130
After 2 minutes - 132    113
After 5 minutes - 110     98

In just 24 days I have seen substantial differences in my performance in all areas. Not just the scale, not just one spot. Everywhere.

I know I don't look a lot different yet. That will come, but this hard work is paying off. I'm stronger, my heart is healthier, and I feel better.

The past 24 days have not been perfect either. I have worked out 19 of 24 days. Not bad, but I can do better. I have logged my food only 15 of those days. I can do a lot better there.

So on to the next 25 days, hopefully in good health. I feel energized, proud, ready to keep this rolling. I can see results, and I know I can improve even further.

I can feel this way because I didn't measure just one thing, I looked at lots of things, make sure you do the same. No matter what your challenge is, find a way to measure all the successes along the way. Four pounds lost in almost 4 weeks wouldn't be a huge lift to me, but these other numbers are.

What other successes can you measure to help keep you going?










No comments: